This is a service project of the Survive and Thrive Advocacy Center (STAC) in Tallahassee. Our goal is to provide resource information to human trafficking victims about where they can get help.
Human trafficking is a crime that occurs all around us. Anyone can be a victim –
men, women, and children, from any ethnic or racial group, from any socioeconomic status.
Victims labor in multiple sectors of society, including: agriculture, landscaping, restaurants, the hospitality industry, construction, domestic service, low-wage and unregulated businesses, and in the commercial sex industry (prostitution, strip clubs, and pornography). Traffickers often transport victims from one city or state to another.
Signs of Trafficking: victims may
- appear destitute and malnourished
- lack identification documents
- avoid social interaction and authority figures
- show signs of abuse and control
- have scripted conversations
- check in to hotels/motels sometimes with older males
Traffickers use a variety of tactics to control victims, such as physical and emotional coercion, isolation, and threats. Many victims often do not realize that they are victims of a crime. They don’t know that there is help or how to get it.
This outreach sends out teams of trained volunteers once a month to distribute lip balms labeled with the National Human Trafficking Hotline number: 1.888.3737.888
The Hotline provides a way for victims to call or text when they need help.
Lip balms are easy for a person to conceal in their pocket, purse, or with toiletries.
The teams go to businesses and service organizations that may come in contact with potential victims.
-QUESTIONS TO ASK-
- Has your identification or documentation been taken from you?
- Is anyone forcing you to do anything that you do not want to do?
- Can you leave your job or situation if you want?
- Can you come and go as you please?
- Have you been physically harmed?
IN CASE OF EMERGENCY: Call 911 first! Then call the Hotline (1.888.3737.888)
QUESTIONS? WANT TO VOLUNTEER ON THIS PROJECT? Contact Christie Arnold at firstname.lastname@example.org. Or contact STAC at email@example.com or 850-597-2080.